Friday, April 3, 2015

I Wuff You

Ha!  I love this sweet little sentiment that comes with the puppy in the Woof Set from Art Impressions.  This is one of the Ai Zoo Babies - and Lora has all four Zoo Babies in the OCS store, so you'll want to check them out!  I decided to do something different with today's cards, as I'm usually a bit of a patterned paper junkie.  I love all the watercoloured backgrounds that I'm seeing on people's blogs, so I cut some small rectangles of watercolour paper, grabbed some of my mini Distress Inks and got to work.  Here's what I came up with:
 The first card uses Mustard Seed and Picked Raspberry Distress Inks.  I tapped each ink onto a clear acrylic block which I used as my watercolour palette.  Then I dipped my paintbrush into clean water and wet the cardstock.  With a slightly damp brush, I picked up the Raspberry (pink) ink and dabbed it three or four times onto the wet area of the paper.  The ink immediately started to spread wherever the paper was wet.  After cleaning the brush, I then picked up the Mustard (yellow) ink and did the same thing.  You can see the areas where the two colours met and blended - forming an orange shade.  I love the randomness of the pattern!  The ink will only go where the paper is wet, which allows you to have some control.
The second card uses Peacock Feathers and Mustard Seed again.  I love watching the colours blend!  And if you don't find the colours to be deep enough, you simply drop more ink onto the paper until you achieve a colour that you're happy with.  You'll get the best results if you remember how we all learned about the colour wheel in school... red + yellow = orange, blue + yellow = green etc.  But I encourage you to get out your Distress Inks or a set of watercolours, and play! 

 I coloured the puppies with Copic markers, picking up the colours of the background for their ribbons.  Then I fussy cut them out, and popped them up on pop dots.  Here's what you can find in the OCS store:


5 comments:

  1. Karen, this is so adorable. Live tune background and thank you for a new idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your background idea, Karen! Such cute cards!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous background technique and stunning coloring Karen!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous background technique and stunning coloring Karen!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous background, and the image of course is super cute. Great job Karen! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete